- Volvo XC40 EV gets up to $2000 price bump ahead of major 2024 update
- Priced from $73,990 with two highly-specified variants
- Up to 424km driving range, two battery sizes, single- or dual-motor powertrains
Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV has received a price increase of $1000 for the single-motor Plus and $2000 for the dual motor Ultimate models.
Now starting from $73,990 to $81,490 before on-road costs, the XC40 EV features a driving range of up to 424km, an Android Automotive powered infotainment system, and a tweaked exterior face.
The boxy electric SUV costs $2000 less than the its Volvo C40 Recharge EV twin with a coupe SUV roofline.
Both the XC40 and C40 EVs are set to receive a major update later this year, with the availability rear-wheel drive, a larger battery, more driving range, and faster charging.
XC40 EV Size and Design
Based on the internal combustion-based Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) shared with the Volvo C40 and Polestar 2, the Chinese-made 2023 XC40 Recharge gains a slightly tweaked face with reshaped LED headlights and daytime running lights, restyled lower bumpers, and a flatter grille in line with its C40 coupe crossover twin.
The interior is mostly unchanged, but now comes standard with textile seats and ‘Origin’ dashboard panels on the entry single-motor Plus trim or microtech/textile seats and ‘Typography’ backlit panels on the top dual-motor Ultimate trim. Both interiors are animal free, ditto with the heated steering wheel.
The rear row seats have two ISOFIX child seat anchorage points, can be folded in a 60/40 split, and there’s a carpeted 31-litre frunk.
The XC40 Recharge has a drag coefficient of 0.32cd, which is the same as its sleeker C40 twin.
XC40 EV Range and Powertrain
Separated by two variants, the facelifted Volvo XC40 Recharge line-up offers two powertrains and two battery sizes.
The base XC40 Recharge Plus uses a 67kWh usable battery pack and one electric motor driving the front wheels. It can accelerate from 0-100km/h in a claimed 7.4 seconds.
Meanwhile, the XC40 Recharge Ultimate boasts a larger 75kWh usable battery with two electric motors for all-wheel drive, which ups the 0-100km/h sprint time to just 4.9 seconds.
According to Volvo’s global site, it claims up to 425km and 418km of combined WLTP range for the single-motor and dual-motor respectively.
All models feature an energy saving heat pump as standard.
The single-motor has a braked towing capacity of up to 1500kg or 1800kg for the dual-motor.
XC40 EV Charging
Based on a 400-volt class battery architecture, the single-motor XC40 Recharge Plus is capable of up to 133kW DC fast charging speeds, while the dual-motor Ultimate can charge at up to 150kW DC. Both models can juice up at 11kW AC rates.
The Swedish company estimates both the XC40 Recharge Plus and Ultimate can charge from 10 to 80 per cent in just 28 minutes on a compatible public charger, despite the difference in battery size and charging speed capabilities.
Though, 0 to 100 per cent on an AC charger is said to take seven hours on the Plus or eight hours on the Ultimate model.
The pure-electric SUV uses the common Type2/CCS2 charging port but isn’t capable of vehicle-to-load (V2L) nor bidirectional charging. All models come bundled with a seven-metre, 10amp charging cable to plug into a standard home socket.
Thanks to the Android Automotive system, it can precondition the battery prior to reaching a fast public charger when set as a destination in Google Maps. It also offers a one-pedal driving mode for maximum regenerative braking.
XC40 EV Safety and Technology
Overseas model pictured
The XC40 Recharge has a five-star ANCAP safety rating under the 2018 criteria, which is carried over from the petrol-powered model when it first launched.
All variants feature Volvo’s active safety assistance suite as standard, including auto emergency braking (AEB); blind-spot and rear-cross traffic alert; Pilot Assist adaptive cruise control; lane keep assist; oncoming lane mitigation; traffic sign recognition; rear collision warning; and a reversing camera with front and rear parking sensors.
Stepping up to the dual-motor XC40 Recharge Ultimate trim nets a 360-degree camera with side parking sensors.
The all-electric SUV boasts a 9-inch portrait infotainment system and 12-inch driver’s display running Google’s Android Automotive system. This includes access to built-in Google Maps, Assistant and the Play Store to download additional third-party apps.
It is capable of over-the-air software (OTA) updates, includes wired Apple CarPlay, and is compatible with the Volvo Cars connected smartphone app to monitor and precondition the vehicle’s climate control and check its charging status.
Volvo Car Australia includes a four-year data subscription to access said digital services.
XC40 EV Price and Models
XC40 Recharge Plus – $73,990 before on-road costs
The single-motor XC40 Recharge Plus model comes with as standard:
- 67kWh usable battery
- 19-inch five-double spoke black diamond cut alloy wheels
- Safety assistance suite (details above)
- 9-inch Android Automotive infotainment system with a four-year data subscription
- 12-inch driver’s display
- Volvo Cars mobile app
- ‘High Performance’ audio system
- Qi wireless phone charger
- LED headlights, ‘Thor’s hammer’ daytime running lights and taillights
- Two-zone climate control
- Heat pump
- Panoramic sunroof
- Charcoal headliner
- Keyless entry
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Power driver’s seat with memory and power passengers seat with four-way lumbar support
- Heated front and rear seats
- Manual cushion extensions for front driver and passenger seats
- Rear row power folding head restraints with mechanical folding seat release
- Tinted rear windows
- Windscreen ticket holder
- Power folding wing mirrors
- Gloss black wing mirrors, side window trim, roof rails and rooftop
- ‘Origin’ interior panels
- ‘Mid level’ interior illumination
- Premium textile seats and textile floor mats
- Heated leather-free sport steering wheel
- Folding bag hook at glove box
- Foldable load floor with cargo divider and grocery bag hook
- Auto-dimming rear view mirrors
- Rain sensing wipers
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
XC40 Recharge Twin Ultimate – $81,490 before on-road costs
The dual-motor XC40 Recharge Ultimate adds:
- 75kWh usable battery
- 20-inch five-spoke black diamond cut alloy wheels
- 360-degree camera
- Side parking sensors
- LED fog lamps with cornering function
- ‘Topography’ backlit interior panels
- ‘High level’ interior illumination
- CleanZone cabin air filter
- Fusion Microtech/textile seats with sport textile floor mats
- Powered child safety lock
- Harman Kardon Premium Sound system (13-speaker)
XC40 EV Options
- Standard paint – no cost: Black Stone
- Premium paint – no cost extra: Onyx Black, Thunder Grey, Fjord Blue, Bright Dusk, Crystal White, Sage Green
XC40 EV Warranty and Servicing
All Volvo XC40 Recharge’s come with a five-year, unlimited kilometre vehicle warranty and an eight-year battery warranty.
There’s also eight-years of roadside assistance coverage, three-year/100,00km servicing program and maintenance visits are only required every two-years for the battery-electric SUV.
The Swedish company has a network of 33 service centres across Australia.
How does it compare to other EVs?
Tables by Danny Thai
Learn more about the Volvo XC40 Recharge EV
Stay up to date with the latest EV news
- Get the latest news and update
- New EV model releases
- Get money savings-deal